Available for hire seven days a week for groups, functions and parties.
Available for hire seven days a week for groups, functions or parties
Tel :- 07572 048274
Email :- firstname.lastname@example.org
A BRIEF HISTORY OF BEAUFORT HILL
Beaufort Hill settlement arose on the boundary of two parishes, Llangatock in Brecknockshire and Aberystruth in Monmouthshire but was transferred to the administrative county of Monmouthsire as part of the urban district of Ebbw Vale in 1888. Subsequent local government changes incorporated it into the Blaenau Gwent district of Gwent in 1974 and the unitary authority of Blaenau Gwent in 1996.
The village’s name derives from the fact that much of the local land was originally owned by the Duke of Beaufort. The Beaufort Iron Works was established in 1779 by Edward and Jonathan Kendall (Cendl) after whom the new settlement was first named.
Historically, the language of Beaufort was Welsh from the 1830s until the early 1900s, Beaufort was bilingual with both Welsh and English-language chapel records showing that before the 1830s the community was primarily Welsh-speaking. According to the 2001 census, 440 residents, or 11.7% of the village's population aged 3 and over could speak Welsh thus Beaufort having the highest percentage of Welsh speakers in Blaenau Gwent. Since the closure of the steelworks in 2002 the community has undergone changes in economic activity, many sought redeployment in other areas of Wales, chose an alternative career, became unemployed or retired. By the 2011 census only 7.9% of the villages population aged 3 and over could speak Welsh and 6.5% of the households in the community the adults were unemployed and had dependants.
For a more detailed history of the village of Beaufort, please click on the link to its Wikipedia page.
HISTORY OF THE HALL
Beaufort Hill Welfare Community Hall (BHWCH) was established in 1933, built by the miners who had one penny deducted from their weekly salary. It officially opened in 1934 and since then, it has become a social and community hub with groups of all ages from toddlers to the elderly using the hall.
There is an official car park adjacent to the centre and a school opposite which has used the changing rooms within the centre. BHWCH manages and maintains the Community Hall for the benefit of all residents within the Beaufort Hill district.
The Management Committee 1948
Back Row (L to R)
Mr Bowen, William Priddy, Bert Roberts, Eddie Thomas, Elwyn Price, William Davies
Front Row (L to R)
Ivor Jones, Haydn Thomas, Joe Davies (Secretary), William John Davies (Chairman), Bryn Evans, Phil Huish (Treasurer), Boffy Thomas
The Programme of the Official Opening of the
New Hall and Institute on Saturday 28th July 1934